The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Burghill, is the most loved and one of the most used facilities in the parish, and, in conjunction with the school and youth organisations, it is a major shaping influence for good in so many lives.
Founded on this site in the 12th Century, the beautiful church (Grade II* listed) was well known to many famous people in history including Sir Edward Elgar and the poets Wordsworth, Coleridge and Shelley. It is now a Grade II listed building.
The church is Norman with a pinnacled tower, was entirely restored in 1824, and repaired in 1854 and 1862; it contains a very fine rood loft with a piscina above it, an ancient figured metal font, a 15th century alabaster altar tomb to Sir John Milbourne and family, and two ancient brasses. In the churchyard is an avenue of fine old yew trees.